So, I decided to put down the sweater for a few days, because my knitting mojo is so gone right now. I’m going to take out the seaming I’ve done, block what I have in the next few days and then try the seaming again. I’m hoping that I will be happier with the result and be able to pick up for the neck and body by this weekend.

I have finished my two charity scarves, so I really have a dearth of things on the needle. I need to cast on a pair of socks, but I don’t have any yarn balled up, and I didn’t have any real time over the weekend. But I was going to Disneyland for a few hours on Sunday morning, and then to see a friend’s band play, and I needed something to knit. I was not waiting in line and then sitting at a bar for hours with no knitting. So I picked up my Fay Fay, which had been in hibernation for a few weeks.

Fay Fay is a really airy pretty lace scarf-type thing. I’m making it out of Rowan Kidsilk Haze, which is a mohair/silk blend. It looks complicated, but it’s really not. The purse stitch lace pattern is really easy. The open cross-stitch (which is what is making those really big holes) is a little fiddly, but it’s pretty easy to execute. When I first put it down, I was maybe a quarter done with it, and I hadn’t really had any problems with it. The pattern was memorized, it was a fairly easy knit, and I had been knitting it out and about (at work and backstage at Julius Caesar) with no problems. I really didn’t think it would be too difficult for out and about knitting. I started knitting it again in the car on the way to Disney. I knit through a whole pattern repeat.

As we were walking around, I knit some more and I got to the open cross-stitch part, and I was two stitches short. Two stitches. And I counted and I recounted, and then I saw, way down at the beginning of the pattern repeat, on a row that was plain knitting across, I had dropped two stitches. I hadn’t noticed because the pattern is a repeat of two. But the open cross-stitch is worked over a multiple of six, so all of a sudden, twelve rows later, those two stitches mattered.

The lace pattern is lace on both sides (there is no plain purl back or knit back row), and I find it really difficult to pick up dropped or lost stitches in that kind of pattern. Also, due to the nature of the pattern, dropping a stitch actually throws it off a lot and it’s usually way too fiddly to pick up. So we sat down to watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and I ripped back the whole pattern repeat–all 12 or so rows of it.

If you’ve never worked with mohair before, I have to tell you something about it. The really pretty fuzzy halo around it makes the yarn stick to itself. Badly. And since the yarn is so thin, it very easily breaks if you aren’t careful pulling the stuck bits apart. So ripping it out is really, really a pain in the butt. But I got it all ripped back without breaking the yarn, and the stitches were all picked up and over the course of the rest of the day managed to finish a whole pattern repeat.

So then I was knitting Monday at work during my lunch break. And I worked a few rows of the purse stitch repeat, and then I saw it. Another dropped stitch. I tried valiently to figure out how to pick it up, but I just couldn’t salvege it. So I ripped back to where I was at the beginning of lunch. My whole lunch break was spent knitting, and I made zero progress.

Then at rehearsal that night, they were adjusting lights, so I had some downtime. I thought it would be the perfect time to catch up on this thing and make some progress. So I started working on it and about five rows in, I looked to see yet another dropped stitch. And again, picking it up just wasn’t working. So I ripped back yet again.

I don’t know if this project is just mad at me because I set it down for so long, or what. Because when I knit the first quarter of it, I had zero problems. But after this little knitting hiatus it was on, it’s the worst project ever and I can’t seem to get it done at all. I’ve been slowly and carefully knitting on it, and have completed a whole two pattern repeats since Monday. By comparison, the first bit of it that I had knit (maybe four or five pattern repeats) took like two days. I want to put it in the corner and make it think about its behavior.

But just so this isn’t all bitching, I still love how this scarf looks. I’m going to wear the hell out of it once it’s done.